Saturday, January 31, 2015

WWI#80 and Five Indoor Workouts

Ah Friday
 ... time for the Friday Five and my weekly recap and weigh-in.

Although I haven't missed a weekly weigh-in, I've been a little slow at getting them up (usually on Saturday or Sunday). I have NOT been participating in the various Friday Five link-ups for a bit. I saw the theme the DC Bloggers (Courtney, Mar and Cynthia) put out ... Five Favorite Indoor Workouts, and thought I'd link up this week. 

I am an indoor workout gal. The extremes in weather, bugs, traffic, people looking at you, dogs ... I just don't want to deal with it. I love having a home gym where I am super spoiled with equipment, in charge of what I watch, and it takes just one moment to go from home to gym and back again.  I do have FIVE main types of exercise that I rotate through ...

  • Elliptical ... is my go to machine. I almost always get in an hour a day. I never actually do an hour at a time, but small 10-20 minute segments spread out. Admittedly, I am usually in my workout wear (comfy clothes, sports bra) most of the day, but even if I'm not, I can still just jump on the elliptical for a few minutes for an energy boost, getting some "steps" in. I like that it's low impact, quiet, and I can wear slippers (I don't like shoes!). 
  • Treadmill ... I'll either hit the treadmill for a quick one mile run (ok, it's been a while since I've done that) or commit to a longer (30+min) workout. I mean, if I'm going to go to all the effort of putting on shoes and socks ... I know many dislike the "dreadmill" but I love seeing an exact count of my distance and speed, of putting on a program to watch and entertain me (although it is noisy, I need subtitles), and I really like the option of incline. Often I'll use the treadmill for "hikes" to up my calorie burn.
  • Stationary Bike ... I wasn't a fan of the bike. It was a pain in the butt (literally!) and I wouldn't get "steps" on my Fitbit. But, I've found it's the perfect time to read my book. Instead of laying or sitting down, I read while I ride. Admittedly, I'm not putting my whole heart into this "workout", it's pretty low-key, but I really enjoy my read/ride time and actually feel I concentrate better on my book!
  • Strength Training ... we have a nice weight set up in our home gym, but all I really need are some dumbbells and the bench. At times I've worked with a DVD (30DS for example) but more often I just have a full body workout I do on my own. I have been a little lax in my weights for a while, I need to get back, always getting it in at least once a week!
  • Zumba ... of course I can't leave out ZUMBA! I started one year ago and am absolutely addicted.  I go to classes Mon-Fri mornings. All different locations and instructors (and all free ... I love that, as I don't want to buy a gym membership for classes as I have my home gym which as outlined above, I am very content with!). I do occasionally workout out at home, sometimes a full hour, or just one song here and there throughout the day as I have a spare five minutes.

Because I not only have easy access to all these indoor workouts, but actually enjoy all these indoor workouts, I have no excuses! I do usually get in quite a bit of exercise/activity. I wish the fitness alone could keep me slender and healthy, but NO, food plays a part too. Dang it, I'm not nearly as good with my eating.  And with that I'll transition into my weekly weigh-in and recap of the week.


It was a pretty good week. Very routine, set structure. No excuses. I had a 1.2 pound loss from last week's weigh-in (average went up a smidgen though). I Zumba-ed each week day, double on Thursday evening. Elliptical and bike every week day too. Only one small treadmill time and ... no weights this week. Oops! I really meant to either on Tuesday or Friday but then it didn't happen.  I really controlled calories on Monday, then went totally overboard on Tuesday. My average intake for the week was 2236. Average burn was 2848. Crunching the numbers I ended up with a deficit of -2435. 

I've just spent SO long in this 150-155 range ... I just need to drop to the 140-149 range and then I'll be fine maintaining. So close, yet sometimes feels so far ...



2 comments:

  1. Not sure which Fitbit you have but it is possible to get "steps" on an exercise bike. I am using my old Fitbit One right now (have a Charge HR on order) and I keep it in my pocket and it counts steps.

    I used to have a Force which I wore on my wrist (returned due to recall) and it didn't count steps, of course. However, if I fed it through my shoe laces it would count step. My husband has a Flex and can do that also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the One, and I do put it on my sock for my bike workout. For my 10 miles/37 minutes, I usually get just over 2000 steps. For some reason Fitbit overestimates on the calorie count though (often crediting my 400), so I end up logging the bike ride manually (and reducing my burn to 100, which is low, but I think the Fitbit overestimates a couple other workouts by a bit, so it's how I even things out). I still do get my "steps" that way though. As important as the steps are, I need to SEE my workout as a little spike on my daily graph :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...