Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Canker

I am quite healthy, and very thankful for that fact. One reoccurring issue I do deal with is canker and cold sores. I've suffered from them for as long as I can remember. I HATE cold sores, as they not only hurt, but they look terrible too.  At least canker sores are in the mouth and not visible ... except for that rare occasion when they form on the outer lip. I'm dealing with this currently. Now the canker is still no where near as ugly as a cold sore, it's really not that noticeable... but on the outside of the lip it's even more painful than when it's in. When my top lip connects (as lips are bound to do) it creates a suction, which is then painfully pulled apart the next time I open my mouth. This dang canker has really interfered with sleep, eating (anything salty getting in it literally makes me dance around) and even exercise. I usually have a fan blowing on me, and it gets dried out and painful. I've had to keep lip balm stocked at each exercise station (elliptical, treadmill and bike) and at various locations around the house, car and purse. And of course ... it interferes with kissing too!

I know, it's a minor complaint compared to the issues and injuries so many have to deal with. Like I said, I am very grateful for my health. I'll also be VERY happy when my mouth is back to normal!

7 comments:

  1. Uggh those are awful! It never fails that my patients get one the week they come to see me! I try to avoid stretching their mouths so that they are comfortable! 7-14 days and you will be good as new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get cold sores too, always have. Usually when I've been somewhere with extreme temps, either hot or cold and then bam, a few days later, my lip is gross. I just got rid of one right above my lip - they are such a nuisance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to determine a trigger for cold sores for me (as they tied to both sun and stress) but often mine just seem to appear right out of the blue I do try to protect them with the lip balm with sunscreen when out on a sunny day. I do think the top lip is the worst place (appearance-wise), right at the crack of the lips is the most painful!

      Delete
  3. I've only had them once and they were so painful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only once! You are lucky. My poor kids seemed to have inherited the canker sores, but luckily they have been spared the cold sores so far.

      Delete
  4. Ouch. Those things hurt. I don't have them very often, but sebaceous cysts have been driving me nuts lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... had to look up sebaceous cysts. Some nasty pictures! Yikes. I'm wondering if that's what my doctor said the small bump on my hand was. I've got a couple other bumps elsewhere, but all small.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...