Thursday, September 12, 2013

My First 5k

Another "Throwback Thursday" post ... this picture was taken four years ago in 2009. It was a family 5k, organized by my cousin raising funds for MLD (you can read her website here.) It was a great event ... not just my little family, but my dad, brothers, their kids, all my cousins, aunts and uncles ... when I say it was a family 5k, it was a LOT of family. There was a lot of community support too.

I had never done a 5k before. I didn't do any real training. I had been walking a ton, jogging some. Hubby and the two older boys took off from the start. Yes, even pushing the two little ones in the stroller, hubby left me in the dust. #3 was on his scooter, and he was the perfect pacer for me (in fact, I probably would have stopped to walk a few times, but I didn't want to let him out of my sight).  Fairly close to the end, I came upon #1 son sitting by the side of the road. He had pushed too hard and run out of steam. He commandeered the scooter, and #3 finished jogging the race with me. #2 finished easily, at a very competitive pace for his young age (and he totally beat me!). This was a fairly casual race, no exact times, but I think I came in around 38 minutes, which is much faster than I had ever done three miles on my own. It's hard not to catch the fever and adrenaline with a bunch of people running together.

It was a really good experience. I totally wanted to do it again. I even looked up some local races and talked about it with hubby ... but it never happened. Saturdays are just busy with sports (the bigger boys play basketball, the little boys play soccer). I've got some anxiety issues with crowds and driving new places. I just didn't MAKE it happen.

So I am officially putting it on my "to do" list again ...

1 comment:

  1. I've only run one 5K, and it was a breast cancer fundraiser. It was a good experience, and I would like to do another one. I need to be in better shape first though! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...