Wednesday, November 6, 2013

An "Extra" Hour?

So a few days ago we had the switch back from "Daylight Savings" time. The Fall switch is usually easier than the Spring switch, because we "gain" an hour (on Sunday anyway). I should have snagged my graph that day from the Fitbit site. There was a gap (no calorie burn) for that extra hour around 1:00 in the morning, but it isn't showing anymore (it just reverted back to a regular 24-hour cycle.) Technically though on Sunday, there were 25 hours that day ... we all DID burn a bit more, right?

I recall another blogger mentioning that she was going to use this as a jumping off point to get up earlier. Although I didn't set that as a particular goal ... Monday morning, I WAS awake at my usual time (around 6:00) and so I did go ahead and get up, even though the clock said 5:00. I got in two 20 min sessions on the elliptical instead of the usual one, before I took the kids to school. I had a productive day on Monday ... but by 9:00 (10:00 to my body) I was DONE.

Yesterday, was much the same. Up early, productive day, but I was dragging so much by the end. I was dreading #3's basketball practice from 9:00-10:00.  But as I went to grab him, I found him asleep in bed. We're all still adjusting. 

Getting up early is great, but I do need my beauty sleep too. So getting up earlier in the morning means I need to go to bed earlier at night ... and that isn't always something I can control.  I do like it lighter in the mornings as I drive the kids to school, but then it's darker earlier as I'm still running them places as well. I personally don't exercise outside, so that doesn't affect me as much as it might others.

  I do love that so many of the electronic items update automatically. I do have a clock in my home gym that I needed to adjust, as well as several others around the house. It took me three days to remember to change the time on my Omron pedometer. 

Has the time change impacted your workout schedule?

Linking Up with



8 comments:

  1. See, I'm just the opposite: I think the time change, even this 'good' one (re an extra hour of sleep), messes with our systems until they adjust. And I think an hour of sleep is more important that an hour of exercise. (at least in the sense of giving up one for the other.) I carve exercise time out of other pockets of time in my day. I won't give up sleep for it. But hey, that's just me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll try to stay waking at 5:00. That's too early for me. But right now, when I am waking up anyway, I might as well get going rather than just staying in bed. But I am SO ready to hit the sack early ... everything says sleep is a very important factor for weight loss as well!

      Delete
  2. I like the time change, and I know it's weird, but I kind of like when it's dark earlier. I usually run in the morning, unless it's super cold, and then I'll wait till it warms up. I feel more tired, but I am always tired because I rarely sleep well. So, the time change doesn't really affect me too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot dog! I did burn an extra hour of calories with DST! Ok, I slept through the change but still!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the time change has affected my diet/exercise, but I do think it affects my mood. It seems like it's cold and dark all the time and it brings me down. I wish they would leave the darn time alone! Pick one and stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do struggle in the winter with the darkness. My Dr. has me on vitamin D watch, as last year was pretty bad. Did you know that Arizona does NOT do daylight savings? They are Mountain time part of the year, Pacific time the other, but they don't change their clocks.

      Delete
  5. I do not work 5 days a week 8-4 so it is hard for me to get out of bed early to work out on the days I do have to be in at 8. Some weeks I am great at it and others are not so great. I am so jealous of you gals that get up early and get the workout out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have "mommy" work (getting the kids up and off) ... it is SUCH a chore to pull my 14 year old out of bed (luckily though my oldest is amazing! He has always gotten himself up and off, which is a good thing as he has an early morning class that starts at 6:00). I have to be out the door with my middle schoolers at 7:30, and I just have to have at least a 20 min workout in to jumpstart the day or I feel off for the rest of it ...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...