Saturday, November 16, 2013

Piano Stairs and Other Stuff (SS#6)


Welcome to my Saturday Spotlight. As I browse blogs, online articles and get through my stack of magazines, I'll keep track of interesting items to share here and keep for my own reference. It's what I've been reading this past week ...
  • Make a Wish Batman: I'm sure you've probably already heard about the big wish that happened yesterday in San Francisco. If not, follow the link or one of the many other news stories covering the event. It's a great feel good story. I have donated $40 to Make a Wish these past few months just by linking my Fitbit to the Everymove reward program (Reaping the Rewards). As we are a Fitbit Family, I've also set up accounts for two of my boys, both my parents and my brother ... we're all earning while exercising and donating our reward to Make a Wish. 
  • A Deeper Look At Doritos: I don't eat them often, but I do like them and my boys adore them. Are they actually designed to be addictive?
  • The Scientific 7-Minute Workout: There a so many HIIT workouts available out there, I like this routine with body weight exercises and simple visuals.  I have yet to try it (finishing up Jillian's Ripped in 30 during November).
  • Fat Foible:  An article with an interesting look at graphs and the "war on fat" ... I think Paleo people would agree with the findings, although plenty of comments attacked the article as well.
  • Fitness Apps. Another article on apps, specifically mentioning Fitbit and MFP (two of my favorites). I did my own post about apps (My Appy Place) after reading a different article downplaying their effectiveness. I love my apps!

Then I happened upon a couple of different approaches encouraging people to be a little more active with interesting incentives. In Moscow, you could get a free ride on the subway if you did a series of squats before. You can read more about it here.  On another blog, there was a link to a video of a Chilean taxi, you could lower your fare if you pedaled during the ride (the article isn't so much about the idea, but the fact that Coca-Cola was the one sponsoring it, you can read about it here).  These two attempts at getting people to be more active reminded me of a similar experiment featured a while ago, If you have NOT seen this video, it is worth watching!


Take the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator and feel better” is something we often hear or read in the Sunday papers. Few people actually follow that advice. Can we get more people to take the stairs over the escalator by making it fun to do? See the results here. 


Have you read anything interesting this week?
Feel free to link up if you have some spotlights to share.








1 comment:

  1. Read The End of Overeating and find out how foods are chemically set up to be addictive/make sales. Lotsa lotsa sales...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...