Monday, November 4, 2013

A Fitbit Family

I discovered the Fitbit almost as soon as it hit the marketplace. I remember I placed my order and had to wait several months, as supply could not meet demand. As soon as I tried it ... I was hooked. My first Fitbit isn't pictured above. It was the "Ultra" and I had it for 3+ years. It was starting to crack a bit, and the new One (pictured above) had been released. So I upgraded.

My old Ultra still worked, and I wondered if my oldest son would be interested in wearing it. He was thinking of joining the track team and I thought I would be fun to track his steps. He never did adopt it though. So, I thought I'd offer it to my mom. She doesn't get a ton of steps in, but she has been a pedometer person for many years, and I thought she might be motivated by the Fitbit feedback. I got her set up, and the next morning she forgot to remove it before going for her morning water aerobics. It was dead. But even just wearing the Fitbit for less than 24 hours had her interested enough that she wanted one.


She bought a One (we debated between the One and the Flex, but ultimately decided on the One). She liked it so much, she bought one for my dad too.  As summer hit, suddenly my oldest son WAS interested in tracking his steps, and #2 was as well (I also really thought it would be interesting to see how active my boys were). I authorized a purchase for both boys ... but #1 wanted the wristband style and the newly released Flex was on backorder everywhere. He bought the Jawbone Up instead. Unfortunately the Up went down ... to the bottom of the lake after my son hit the water hard while wave running. I was sad about the loss ... but I hadn't been happy with the Up anyway. I couldn't see his stats, which was one of the things I wanted (to compare/contrast the graphs/numbers with mine and his brother). We did end up getting him the Flex.

... so yes, we are a Fitbit family. My mom ended up getting one for my brother for his birthday, and I think other family members may be interested as well. It's fun for me to get after my boys, telling them that Grandpa is beating them in steps (which he often is!) We're all "friends" on the Fitbit site, so we can see each other's steps and have a little family competition.  I am now a pro at setting up a Fitbit ... I think I did it for everyone!

 I also go ahead and get everyone signed up for the various reward sites (Reaping the Rewards) and we're able to give each other bonus points on Everymove.   When I saw that a $5 Amazon giftcard was being offered, I quickly got everyone signed up (there are limited amounts, and these actual cash rewards are few and far between).  Was it bad when I had my boys turn over their $5 Amazon credit to me once they had earned the reward? I HAD paid for the Fitbit after all.

I'm still watching for the Amazon offering again (until then, we're all just donating to charity) but #2 did snag some Redbox codes another time.

The boys aren't as active now that they are back in school. But it's fun to look at their daily graph and be able to see when they have gym, or basketball practice. Grandpa is always quite competitive ... but no one in the family can beat me (although #2 did have days he did during the summer).

Hubby's birthday is coming up ... I don't know if he's really interested at all. I think it would be fun to add him to our Fitbit Family too though. I've also wanted to buy a Zip ... just to be able to experiment with it (I like to consider myself a bit of a Fitbit expert). I think it would be fun to stick it on the younger boys and see how their activity stacks up to the rest of us.  We'll see ... (update June2014 ... Tracking the Family).

For more information on the Fitbit ... check out my post 
 I love my Fitbit feedback!



11 comments:

  1. THis is such a cool looking gadget! I'm also trying to get my 11yo back on track and no problems getting the 4yo active. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that the Fitbits for the kids are to motivate them to move more, as much as just to track how much they are moving. My boys are pretty active, it's just hard to know really how much. My #2 plays basketball so it's interesting to see how many steps he gets with games/practices.

      Delete
  2. Glad you found something that really works for you! That is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome the whole family is interested in something healthy together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I may have to check those out! I have never used anything like that, but maybe I need to. I have been walking lots lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see you write about the fitbit. I have been very curious about purchasing one. Do you recommend one over the other? What about the newest one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My preference is the One, as I don't care to have it on my wrist. If you like something on your wrist, I would splurge for the newest Force over the Flex. I do like checking the device itself for data (you can't do that with the Flex).

      Delete
  6. I think it's great that as a family, you all are making fitness a priority. If every family did this, we'd have a more healthy, happy world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so fun! I have the zip and I'm on the fence about it... I LOVE tracking my steps, but I forget to put it on ALL the time! Especially days when we're busy and run out if the house quickly (with two two and under that is every time we leave the house). I want to upgrade to one I could wear all the time since I wear a watch 24/7 anyway. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome that you and your family found something that works for you. My mom and I are both MyFitnessPal girls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fitness gadgets and would love a Fitbit. Very cool. I love the goals that you've set for yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...