Thursday, November 14, 2013

A "Survivor" Experience

Throwback Thursday ... when I was in college, I took a Social Psychology course. As part of that class, we went on an overnighter in the woods. It was largely a team building experience. I'm the gal in the white jacket in the middle, holding hands with my then boyfriend (as a funny side note ... he ended up marrying the gal standing next to me).   

Anywho ... one of the TV programs I enjoy is "Survivor". I missed several seasons when I gave up watching "live" television. I committed to only watching TV if I was working out, and while I had a TV/DVD player in my gym, I didn't have a way to watch anything live, or even recorded. But I since figured that out (Streaming VS DVDs) and so I've gone back to watching. "Survivor" is a good show to workout to. As the contestants struggle through very physical challenges, it's hard not to get a bit of an adrenaline rush myself as I'm on my elliptical. Many of the things they do remind me of some of the challenges we did in our psychology class during that trip.


In last night's episode of "Survivor" there was a food challenge. Oh my heavens, I can hardly watch it! I've mentioned on this blog that I am an uber picky eater (Eating Issues). I could NOT participate in a challenge like that. Even if it was a team challenge and everyone was counting on me. Even if a million dollars was on the line. No way. 

Back on my psychology trip there WAS a food challenge. We'd all been asked to bring a couple of cans of food. There was corn, soup, applesauce, beef ravioli ... our professor opened them all up and dumped them together into a big pot. We had to eat it. Part of our grade depended on it. I was a straight A student on academic scholarship ... I did not eat it. 

Hubby and I joke about it sometimes. If there IS a zombie apocalypse (or an earthquake or big storm) and I was actually starving ... would I eat? I'm sure I would. In fact logically I will even say "I've never eaten a peach or a strawberry, but I'm sure I'd eat those before I would eat a hamburger, but I'd eat a hamburger before I'd eat things like grubs or pig intestine" (that's what was offered up on last night's Survivor food challenge).  

Some things I wish I could make myself eat and like; salads, smoothies, whole wheat bread and brown rice, so many fruits/veggies, green tea, dark chocolate ... but I don't think it will ever happen.

Check out this TimeMagazine article on Foods That Are Changing The World. Grasshopper taco anyone?


13 comments:

  1. That looks like an awesome thing to do! I've often thought I'd do great on a show like Survivor, because I'm really tough. However, I don't know if I could eat weird stuff either. I am not picky and love a variety of foods, but mixing up weird stuff together or eating bugs or something..not sure I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well YOU did that Spartan Race ... that is a "Survivor" experience for sure. I like watching the show but I know I could never do anything like that, eating aside I'm not tough enough!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jen! Well, I'm surprised! That's a big list of foods you won't eat. I wonder how/why that happened! And my family thinks I'm strange because I don't like squid or octopus--at all. Like really, no. Also super stinky food, like oysters--no. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been this way. I read an article about "selective eating disorder" which sounds spot on, but who knows. I don't think most people would think you were strange for not liking squid or octopus, you are probably in the majority!

      Delete
  3. I love Survivor! I've watched every season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older seasons (ones I've missed) are actually on Amazon prime, and I wasn't paying attention enough not watching to hear details of who was voted off or who won. I did watch a couple of them after they had originally aired, but I have missed a few seasons still.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jen, I think I usually give most normal things a try..though I am sure I would not manage the survivor experience for sure....salad is something I learned to love and now I have a salad everyday..I like mixing different things and creating my own special salad :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mixing things is one of my issues. I'm one of those people who doesn't like their food to touch. I don't eat sandwiches because that is too "mixed" ...bread and meat in one bite? Yuck! I'm not normal, I know.

      Delete
  5. Ugh...I would NOT survive Survivor (I'd probably kill people and I am pretty sure that is frowned upon!) Haha!
    I am also not an eater of weird things like they have in those eating challenges. I would probably be allergic anyway!
    My son is 15 and THE pickiest eat ever, he always has been. He is a texture eater and usually smells stuff before he will eat it. Ugh...I hope he can find a woman that won't think he is weird! haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how he competes with ME on the pickiest eater platform! *Ü* Texture, smell, sight, just knowledge of what it is ... it very rarely even comes down to taste as I will not, can not, even try it. The dating years were awkward, but I managed to find me a man ... not that he doesn't think I'm weird! I do still MAKE all these things I don't like (apparently my lasagna is superb, I wouldn't know, I'm not about to take a bite) but I have a hard time with eating issues with the kids, as it's the height of hypocrisy for me to say "just try one bite."

      Delete
    2. So what do you eat? I'm curious. You seem to have eliminated most foods. I know you eat chocolate mint brownies and Halloween candy, but that can't be all you eat, right? Do you take vitamin supplements since you won't eat most foods? So many questions... :)

      Delete
    3. I still like a lot of things - breakfasts are easy with pancakes, waffles, french toast, bacon, hashbrowns and cereals (of course I like the sugary "kid" ones, but I'll eat oatmeal). I like chicken, turkey, fish, beef ... just pretty plain, and never ground up. I'll eat about half the fruits out there, of course the "veggies" I eat aren't the good ones (potatoes, corn, carrots, peas) ... I will eat green beans, broccoli and cauliflower. I'll eat plain or alfredo pasta (no tomatoes or sauce though). I'll eat mac&cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches. I love white, fluffy breads/rolls. I can actually get by most places without drawing too much attention to myself, but I am just a homebody at heart. It's easier at home where I'm in complete control.

      Delete
    4. Well, that's not as bad as I thought. You do eat some "real" food. Good for you to be able to eat much of that stuff and lose weight. I am not prediabetic, but I have insulin sensitivity, and a lot of the foods you mentioned, if I ate them on a regular basis, would make me gain fat, especially around my belly. It just goes to show that we are all different! And thank God for that, or this would be a boring world.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...