Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Tapes and Measures

I admit it. I'm a scale snob. I weigh myself every day. I know that as part of this journey, you are not supposed to rely solely on the scale as points of progress. Progression pictures, how clothes fit and measurements are also encouraged to track your changes.

I really have a hard time with measurements. Do you measure at the smallest point for the waist measurement? Or at the belly button? Do you suck in or just try to stay neutral? I know the key is consistency, but even keeping that in mind I really am not sure I trust my measurements. It seems like if I breathe differently or move just a bit, I can lose an inch right there!

So ... I have attempted to take some measurements. I bought this MyoTape (pictured above) from Amazon and I DO think it is an improvement over just a regular measuring tape. You can loop it much larger than you need then press the little button and it then retracts until tight. This function is good for storage too.

I've looked up an article  "How To Properly Measure Your Body"  and will read and review it as needed. So instead of this post being too helpful for YOU ... anyone have tips for ME on taking measurements? Are measurements an important part of your progress tracking?

Linking up with Kristen and Kristen 
for Tips and Tricks Tuesday.

10 comments:

  1. I 1000000% CONCUR! I think tape measure is absolutely the least reliable judge of all. I don't get why people rely on it so strongly, when it's so easy for an inch to vary by the slightest of movements...

    But unlike you, I accept that and have moved on. I don't need a tape measure to tell me how I'm doing, and refuse to use something so scientifically unreliable. So no, I can't help you, except to say don't worry about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't stress overly about it ... I'm just a data junkie, so I like to have all options of measurement available. I just don't really trust it until there is an obvious change ... similar to the scale. I don't ever think "I lost an ounce!" because I know there is so much fluctuation possible there. It's not until there is an obvious and consistent change that I actually think I've lost weight :)

      Delete
  2. I love taking my measurements and have a video on my blog about how to do it correctly and consistently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO remember you posting that, in fact I was going to look it up and add the link to my post but forgot ...

      Delete
  3. I'm a big scale person, but totally not a measurement person. :)


    Current giveaway: A stencil! Our Journey Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my AFF Facebook page, I have some links for different types of waist measurements, including measuring while sucking in your gut and measuring while pushing it out too. I do keep track of measurements, though they haven't changed much for a very long time now. However, comparing now to March 2007--a huge difference. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do both - scale and tape measure! I think consistency is the key in measuring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I roll with the scale as my form of checks for this journey. I was measuring myself but find it too subjective!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I really should take tape measurements and I should have taken pictures of myself from my starting weight regularly to the present, but sadly, I have not done that. I weigh myself about once a week and pay attention to how my clothes fit. I also pay attention to how others view me, and I've been getting really good feedback from everybody I know. These things seem to work for me, so I guess I'll just keep on going as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stink at measurements I never get the same measurement twice even if I measure the same spot so I have given up

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...