Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Going Bananas



As I mentioned in my Eating Issues post a bit ago, I have a hard time getting fruits and vegetables into my food diary. While I don't like many vegetables, I do like several fruits ... sometimes it's just hard to have them on hand. I mean bananas. I'll buy a bunch, then no one eats them and they go brown and mushy. I know, I can freeze them for smoothies (for hubby or the boys, I'm not a smoothie girl) or make banana bread (I do like banana bread and I have a great recipe ... it's not exactly low-calorie though!). I really do try to buy bananas and have them around just in case I or the kids get the urge to eat one. The other week, I did have a banana for breakfast for several days and I did feel good getting it in my food diary. It did seem to fill me up for the morning too.

Anyone have any tips on making bananas last longer?

If you haven't seen this cute clip, it really is worth watching. *Ü*


5 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a banana eater either. I buy them for my kiddos and snag about a 1/3 of one some mornings (rarely). Are you an ice cream or peanut butter eater? I've heard of people freezing a couple and putting them in the food processor with a scoop of peanut butter. I guess it's a good ice cream substitute - I'm not super optimistic that I'll love it but I'm still dying to try it!

    Thanks for your help with my post about fitness trackers!!! I'd love for you to link up at the Tips and Tricks Tuesday party - pretty much anything goes - old or new - sharing or seeking advice. We'd love to have you!!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really a frozen banana girl, or fruit mixed with ANYTHING (I'm uber picky!) ... I have heard about the frozen banana ice cream. I'll try to jump in on the Tips&Tricks, still figuring out how all these linkups work :)

      I'm a HUGE Fitbit fan, you'll see several Fitbit posts on my blog now and coming up :)

      Delete
  2. I go on banana kicks and will eat one for a snack every day, then decide I never want to see another banana again, ha ha. Then they turn black before I give in and toss them. I don't really like them by themselves but like to cut them onto cereal or make peanut butter and banana sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that with food before (I ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich every day of my kid life through middle school, then I've never had one since). I do have to be in a banana mood. I do only like them plain though, I don't mix them with anything ... seriously, even banana creme pie. I'll eat the pie and the bananas separately! My sons like PB&banana toasts though! They also like something called "turds on a banana" ... which is just chocolate on top of slices placed in the freezer.

      Delete
  3. I have heard keeping them in the fridge makes them last longer and even though the peel turns brown, they are still good! I tried it and it works!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...