Monday, August 19, 2013

School Days (FMM)

It's almost time ... school starts next week! My oldest will be a senior in high school. I'll have two in middle school (the first year there for #3) and the two youngest (going into 4th and 2nd grade) will be starting a new school too. Our elementary has always been "year round" and I HATE it! We barely get adjusted to the routine when ... it's off track time for 2-3 weeks. And I'm a SAHM, I don't know how working moms do it! The kids don't get out until JULY, and then (depending on which track) they start back up in July too!. Where is summer? Anyway, after years of enduring it,  I went ahead and put in a permit at a different elementary school, one on a traditional schedule. The kids were approved, so we are making the move. I'm a little nervous. It's going to be hard on #4, he's like his mommy and doesn't deal well with change (but really, almost ALL his friends moved away this past year). I do think it will be better for us all in the long run.

I will be happy to return to the routine, especially now that it won't be broken (off track) in a couple of months. We've had a good summer, but at this point I do think the boys are bored and are ready to get back to learning and friends. Getting up early. That is going to be a real challenge after sleeping for a couple of months. With the change of schools, my morning routine will be a little more rushed than last year (the new school starts about 30 minutes earlier than the old one). I really like to start my day with a workout first thing, and I'm going to have to get up and at it if I want to get it in before making lunches, prepping kids and carpools.

How does the start of school affect your eating and exercise routine?

The topic of Friend Making Monday this week is "school" ... these questions come from the All The Weigh blog. Go check out others who have answered these same questions, and post the answers on your own blog and link up too!

School Days
1.  What was your favorite subject in school?  English. I loved reading and writing.
2. Did you attend elementary school and high school in the same town? Yes, and I still drive by my old schools from time to time (the boys have had basketball games at my Jr. High and High school. They tore down my elementary school and rebuilt it).
3.  Are you still friends with anyone that you met during school?  We don't get together a lot, but I'm still in communication with several friends (thank you Facebook). Some from college, high school and middle school, but a few I've know since elementary.
4. What activities were you involved in as a student? I was in Madrigals (choir) and drama ... the ol' High School Musical.  Also in a singing group in college.
5. Did you bring your lunch, or did you get it at school? I'm a super picky eater and always have been (see my post here).  I could NEVER take hot lunch. I brought a peanut-butter and honey sandwich every day elementary-Jr. High, then I burned out on them and haven't had one since.  I remember my friends and I would often bring a gallon of milk and cold cereal and eat that.
6. Did you enjoy shopping for clothing and school supplies?  I grew up in a practical family, we didn't get new clothes at the start of the year, we'd get them as needed. Same for supplies. I don't really ever remember "Back to School" shopping. 
7. Name a song or a band that reminds you of high school.  I didn't listen to the radio much ... the 80's songs all bring back the high school feeling for me. 
8. Did you like school?  I loved school and was very serious about getting good grades. It paid off with academic scholarships that paid for all four years of college.
9. How long have you been out of school? About as long as I've been married (I went to one quarter after to finish up) ... so over 20 years!
10.  What did you like most about school?  What did you dislike most about school?  I liked the social aspect, but I really did enjoy learning and the feeling of accomplishment when completing school assignments and getting a good grade.  I'm afraid I fall into the typical stereotype of a girl NOT liking math!

*********************************************************************

This post was part of the Friend Making Monday Link-Up.
Come join in!

1 comment:

  1. I found you via FMM. We have a lot of similar answers. I enjoyed reading your post.

    Have a great week!
    http://ashley-to-awesome.blogspot.com/2013/08/friend-making-monday-school-days.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...