Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Wii and Me

I can't remember when the Wii first hit the marketplace. We did end up getting one for the kidlets, but I never got around to trying the various WiiSports (bowling, tennis, etc.)  Then came the release of WiiFit and the balance board. Surprisingly, it was my MOM who was the first to invest in this. While visiting grandma, the kids tried out the various activities and clamored for it's addition to our video game stash. As I was a bit intrigued by the possible workouts ... we got one.



That was several years ago. As with many workouts, it was used a LOT when it was still new, a novelty. I used it, but had to compete with the kids for time (it wasn't always available at my disposal).  It was also out in the main room, so there was often an audience ... or even "helpers" who would come press the balance board to throw things off.

As interest waned, I ended up moving the WiiFit into my gym. It's now always available, I don't have to switch out the disk with the kid's games, I don't have an audience  ... yet I still don't get to it that much. I guess I generally feel I get more "bang for my buck" with my other exercises (elliptical, treadmill, bike, weights, DVD workout).  But I do want to try and keep it in the repertoire.


I like the original, balance exercises the best. Those are the things I feel I don't necessarily get with my other workouts. I think the balance board is a unique idea. While the kids do still come in occasionally to do a little WiiFit, the can't beat Mom at soccer heading, Ski Slalom, Table Tilt, and Penguin Slide. Those are my main "exercises" ... I'll throw in a little hula at times (I bought an actual exercise hula hoop, and it's harder to spin the imaginary Wii one!), bike around the island or pop balloons while riding a segway. Sometimes I'll even fly ... you really don't want an audience for that one!

I have set up a Yoga series ... but I don't do it as often as I should (on or off the Wii). The strength training or simple steps ... I guess I'd rather just do my own thing for those.

I know many people use the Wii for their weigh-ins ... I do always find it interesting to see how it compares to my scale (it's usually pretty close, but I am including some estimation for clothing).

I know there is a ton of other stuff out there - Jillian Michaels, Zumba ... not officially a "workout" but the "Dance" games can get you moving (my mom has a couple of those).  I'm pretty much JUST a WiiFit girl, when I even get that in.

Have you ever tried WiiFit?
Linking up with

10 comments:

  1. I have, and it was okay, but kinda 'meh' to me. but hey, anything that works, works! Good for you for mixing it up so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my weight loss journey only using wii fit and lost 40lbs during that and counting calories. I was highly overweight and needed something that wasn't too intense to do even though at the time it was for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. My mother was SO into it at the start, but I think she's since let it slide (and had back and knee surgery, so exercise options were limited for a time too). I need to encourage her to get back to the WiiFit!

      Delete
  3. I have never tried it but was interested in the kickboxing workouts when they came out. Some people seem to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other than a couple of games at my parents' house, I haven't tried it. I would probably really benefit from the balance exercises. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just interesting to get immediate feedback on balance ... it's often not what I think or think I'm feeling.

      Delete
  5. I really like Wii Dance, but I rarely do it. It's sort of the very last thing on my mind to do. I really don't use the t.v. set much in general for anything. It's mostly my husband's domain. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have WiiFit too. I like their cardio games but I kinda suck at the balance game (my husband likes the balance games though), and the yoga stuff are a bit awkward imho. Used WiiFit quite a bit when I decided to start exercising & losing weight again. Nowadays I much prefer playing Just Dance game on the Wii, much more fun and can actually get me sweating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use to have a wii and a wii fit. I got rid of it when I discovered that I hadn't used it for a year. I'm not too sure why I stopped using it, it just happened. It most likely I found something else I enjoyed more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had a Wii but I wanted Wii Fit when it came out...this was before I started my journey.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...