Thursday, October 31, 2013

Feeling Fruity

How many fruits and veggies are we supposed to get in a day? I struggle to get in even one. It's not that I don't like fruit ... well, it kinda is. I've never even tried many of the fruits out there (strawberries, raspberries, cherries, plums, peaches and more). I've taken one bite of cantaloupe and kiwi and that was the end of that. Apples and oranges are all right if I'm in the mood. I do love pears, but I struggle to get them home from the store without damage. Bananas are a staple, but they go bad so quickly. I have a hard time keeping them around at the right ripeness. We all like the purple grapes ... if they are firm and crisp.  


This was a picture of my shopping cart from the summer. I really enjoy watermelon, but only in season. We're looking forward to the "Cuties" (mandarin oranges) to hit the shelves. I am trying to have fruit available around the house, and even keep it visible (like in the basket on the counter in the top photo) to remind the kids AND me to eat up.

I purchased a pomegranate for the first time this week. I've picked up just the seeds before, but I haven't been able to find them lately, and the fruit itself was on sale. But my heavens, since when does fruit need opening instructions?  I looked it up online, and I still did it wrong. I even tried eating one of the little seeds. If you know me at all, you know that is huge. I don't try things. But alas, I didn't like it at all (it's sour!). I've looked up a couple other methods of opening a pomegranate and getting the seeds out, so maybe I'll try an alternate opening technique. The kids like them. They are a favorite fruit of kid #3. It was a good thing I got my fruit photo when I did, because the next time I turned around, he had eaten all the arils.  

I have mastered prepping a pineapple. That's not nearly as hard to handle as a pomegranate.


I set myself up a "Feeling Fruity" streaks calendar. All I need to do to be able to mark off the day is it ONE serving of fruit. I don't know that I even got 50% for October, but at least I'm tracking and consciously trying.

I was proud of myself for trying something new ...even if I didn't like it. Maybe I need to try again. This article (Pomegranate Health Benefits) popped up in my BlogLovin feed. 

I consider it an NSV for the week and participating in the LinkUp. I had a second NSV too, I made brownies and did NOT eat one bite (I might have licked the spoon though). 

It's Halloween today! An email from the Jillian Michaels camp came up with healthy candy alternatives, (some being fruit) ... but sometimes I just want to indulge in good old-fashioned candy. I'll just try to keep it in control. What? Candy Corn isn't a vegetable?



And a final offering ...
A humorous attempt at substituting Halloween candy with more healthy fare.

I admit ... I laughed.

So tonight ...  door duty or supervising the kids duty?
Either way I should get some steps on my pedometer.

What are your favorite fruits?

1 comment:

  1. My favorite fruits are blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, and oranges. These foods are not only delicious to me, but they are also low in sugars for fruits and high in vitamins and antioxidants. And they are colorful and pretty! What's not to love?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...