Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Top Tips for Workouts/Weight Loss



Several months ago when I decided it was time to take this seriously ... part of my weight-loss plan was to start this blog. To make my goals, my progress (or lack thereof) public to friends and family and others in the bloggosphere. Accountability. As I was reading one of the magazines from my stack (Health November 2012) I came across an article "100 Best Diet Tricks Ever". There were some good tips there, and one of the tips, #13 (it will change your life, claimed the cover!) was to Blog About Your Weight Loss.  Do YOU think making your weight-loss public is a motivator? Has it changed your life? *Ü*

There were some other tips that I felt I was already implementing ...
(and thus agree with, funny how that works)
  • Weigh Yourself Often: I've weighed myself every day for the past 8+ years. Admittedly, I still slowly gained weight, watching it every step of the way. Now I'm watching it on the way down. While I weigh everyday (and thanks to my Fitbit Aria scale which syncs wirelessly to my Fitbit and MFP account my weight is updated, graphed and recorded every day) I really try not to focus on the daily numbers. I have an "official" weekly weigh-in, and I also average the numbers each week and watch for trends. It is interesting to see the fluctuations. I plan to continue weighing in even when I hit my goal.
  • Count/Record Calories:  Joining MFP and tracking my food is what has made a difference. Calories can add up SO quickly. Write it all down, be accountable, know what you are eating.
  • Workout in the morning: I always get in a 20min session on the elliptical first thing.
  • Get enough sleep: I don't know that I am, but I try.
  • Fill your playlist with upbeat tunes: Music can be SO motivating and there is so much great music out there.
Now ... two commonly heard tips (they were included here) were to Eat Breakfast and to Stop Eating Three Hours Before Bed.  I always get a bit flummoxed at these. Does timing of what you eat really make a big difference, or is a calorie a calorie? I'll admit, I'm not a good breakfast eater. If I eat breakfast, I always end up with a higher calorie count for the day. If I put off eating until I am hungry and need to eat, then I usually save myself 300+ calories, or whatever I would have eaten for breakfast. And while I don't have a big problem with late-night snacking, I don't consciously set a goal NOT to eat after 7:00, and I don't really feel guilty when I do. 

... another common tip is to have a Workout Buddy. Now the little article blip I showcased in the image above (the "Ask Bethenny" sidebar, on the left) is actually from a different issue. Health, December 2011. I had to laugh just a little though.  Apparently I would NOT be a good workout buddy ... according to her, you certainly don't want an "obsessive type who works out twice daily and counts every last calorie."   Is that obsessive? Is that bad? *Ü*  I guess it doesn't matter, as I am actually a very solitary exerciser. My only "buddies" are online support.

I couldn't find the entire article online, but there is a truncated version (25 Tips) on the Health Magazine website. As I was looking, I found another blogger who had reviewed this article, citing several of the tips she did NOT agree with. I thought her take was interesting.You can read her review here.

I found another article with top tips My No. 1 Weight-Loss Tips from celebrity fitness experts and I thought they were very good. Check them out if you have a little time. 

If I had to come up with a few workout/weightloss tips from ME...

  • Break it Up: If committing to an hour long workout seems too much, try three 20 minute workouts spread throughout the day.
  • Just Start: Even if you don't feel like exercising, commit to starting. Tell yourself you can quit after 10 minutes ... you will probably keep on going once you've begun.
  • Pre-Record Calories: I know some people pre-log their entire day. I'm not that organized. But I do try to log BEFORE I eat something ... and often logging, seeing the calories in black and white will stop me from eating something I shouldn't. And with pre-logging there are no surprises.

Linking up with Workout Wednesday (what do you know, there are a bunch of good tips listed on today's post!) Weigh In Wednesday (does a diet-bet help you with achieve your weight-loss goals?)


If YOU were asked to list three of your top tips, what would they be?





15 comments:

  1. Excellent tips. I pre log often too and I find it really does help keep me on track, especially if I go out to eat. I make sure I look up the menu ahead of time and plan exactly what I'm going to eat before I get there and make an impulsive decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart phones and helpful apps make it easier. I don't know if it is socially polite to actually log AT the table ... but I often do it (hubby doesn't mind) *Ü*

      Delete
  2. Blogging definitely helps you be accountable on your weight loss journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that making my journey public has DEFINITELY helped my success. You have people watching your every bite of food and every bit of exercise. I am so glad I did it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not very public with my food (hangs head) ... My MFP diary is still on private and although I include my calorie count from the day in my Day to Day Doings, I don't share exactly how I got there. I know I should!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Tips. What a great article to read and I love that blogging is on there.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think I've ever really seen "blog about it" as a weight loss tip before. But it's a good one!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jen! Great post! Mine are: 1) food journal daily; 2) count calories; and 3) attend a weight loss meeting weigh-in. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first glance keeping a food journal and counting calories seem almost the same, but they really are different. Both are so important! I've never attended a weight loss meeting, I've followed your mentions of it on your blog with interest (yours NOT being the traditional weight watchers, which is the most well known type of meeting).

      Delete
  7. Starting a blog was one of the best things I've ever done. Not only does it give me accountability, as you said, but it also gives me a sense of accomplishment.

    Last night a reader of my blog sent me an email and the person was despondent and discouraged. I wrote back to him, giving him tips on how to get started and get motivated. I don't know if I helped him, but he gave me a precious gift. He asked for my help. He made me feel good about myself. And that is a great motivation to keep on with my weight loss plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome. I love having a place for all my graphs, a place to put down my "diary" and thoughts ... and if it helps someone else out too, all the better. I know I've really appreciated reading about other's experiences.

      Delete
  8. I'm a pre-recorder with my calories (when I'm actually on track). I like to do it that way. Today for example I'm planning on having baked ziti for dinner. I KNOW that I want a slice of garlic texas toast (homemade) with my dinner. I had to work my breakfast and lunch to be able to 'afford' that slice of texas toast. If I hadn't pre-planned the day I would have eaten what I origianlly wanted for breakfast and then not had the calories for the bread (and most likely have eaten it anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just another great example of why pre-recording is great.

      Delete
  9. I love your tips! "Just start" - I totally agree! I haven't been to good about getting my workouts in but the other day I decided to do a quick 20min vid and I would have kept going if my 1yo didn't keep grabbing my legs making it impossible to keep kickboxing safely! I also agree with tracking before you eat - that's when I'm the most successful too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...