- Breakfast: We all hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Dr. Briffa discusses this in a recent post. Personally, while I LOVE breakfast foods (pancakes, waffles, bacon, hashbrowns) I rarely eat breakfast. I'm just not that hungry right off the bat, and I find if I put off eating, I save calories. I do eat "breakfast" ... I just eat it around 11:00 or so.
- Keeping It Cold: I came across this article about Weird Weight Loss Saboteurs ... most of them were pretty much common sense and things I had heard before ... but AIR CONDITIONING, hmmm, that surprised me. Although I have heard you do tend to eat more when you are cool (which is why movie theaters and restaurants tend to stay somewhat chilly). My home gym is usually cold (64° this morning) and I feel that encourages me to work out and warm up.
- Cutting Cardio: Both the article above and this one (The Case Against Cardio) mention the possibility of overdoing it ... which I read with interest as I do a lot of cardio (100 minutes on the elliptical each day plus some treadmill and bike as I can fit it in). But IF I'm understanding the basics of both these opinions, I'm actually doing ok (breaking it into 20 min segments; not going all out all the time, but keeping it pretty low level; trying to get in some interval sprints in at times).
- Forbidden Foods: This article from Fitness Magazine (10 Foods to Never Eat) comes out and says never eat certain foods. While I could give up half of those mentioned without issue ... the other five are pretty much staples in my house. But ... bacon?
- Social Media and the Thigh Gap: I was flipping through my local paper (although I have converted to digital for photography and books, I still like my magazine and newspapers in physical format) when I noticed an article about the sought after "thigh gap" ... it was an associated press article, so there were several places it was listed online (Washington Post). It was interesting.
- Exercising & Pregnancy: I have my computer homepage set to local news, and saw a story about a woman being criticized for working out too hard during her pregnancy. You can read the story here (Pregnant Woman Under Fire). Another blog I follow (Strength and Sunshine,, who does a post similar to this, featuring favorite blog posts from the week), included a very similar story. And then there is SkinnyMeg (who hosts the Workout Wednesday LinkUp) who just ran a half-marathon while pregnant. The exercise bug didn't bite me until after I was done having kids ... but I'm so addicted now, I can't help but think if I did have another baby, I would continue to work out throughout the pregnancy (maybe not CrossFit ... of course I don't do crossfit now!)
Saturday, October 12, 2013
Saturday Spotlight (#2)
Throughout the week, I'm reading fitness blogs, magazines, articles and I come across a lot of interesting information. Things I'd like to keep a reference of, things I'd like to point out to others, maybe start a discussion. So I keep a collection of the most interesting items and at the end of the week, I share them here in my Saturday Spotlight. I'd love to know what YOU have been reading. Come join the link up!
In addition to my online reading, I did get through several issues in my backlog of magazines (Mucho Magazines). There wasn't a whole lot I bookmarked. I did end up doing a separate blog post about one article (Top Tips for Workouts and Weightloss). I did find a couple others worth mentioning, both in the September 2012 issue of Fitness ... one on Workout Motivation and an interesting one on Weight Loss Destiny - are you fated to be fat?
Did you read anything interesting this week? Link Up below!