Saturday, January 4, 2014

A Fountain of Chocolate and the Aftermath

We're LDS (Latter Day Saint) and in our religion, a child is baptized when they are eight years old. Today was my baby's baptism day. We had family and friends come to support (about 35+ people), and of course we had them over to the house afterward for a little celebration.  My hubby invested in a CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN many years ago (and not one of those inexpensive ones, he went all out for a commercial version) and we decided to get it out for today. I took a little video as we started it up (you can see it here if you'd like). 

It's been a busy day! I got up early and got in 40 minutes on the elliptical (I hope to get in 20 more to round it up to an hour). We cleaned the house, prepped the food (we had chicken salad on croissants and a veggie tray in addition to the chocolate fountain and dippers) ...we had pretzels, marshmallows, rice krispie treats, orange slices, banana, pineapple and strawberries to dip in the chocolate. 

 ... and the aftermath
There is chocolate everywhere.

I even found some in my hair.

It take a LOT of soap and hot water to get everything clean.
Hubby usually cleans up, but he had to plans so it fell to me this time.

... and then, I had to log onto MFP and attempt to log my calories. 
Admittedly, I did NOT really count or measure. Complete estimation ... but I do try to record each item I eat, even if I don't get the exact amounts correct (as it still gives me a decent snapshot of my day).  The chocolate in fountains is MUCH higher in calories then regular chocolate, as it has added oil to make it flow. I didn't have a calorie count for our chocolate, but assume that it's pretty similar to what Golden Corral puts in theirs.

I am so glad this fell on THIS weekend ... now, when I can tuck it onto the tail end of the birthday/holiday/sick season, before my return to the routine (this coming Monday). On a Saturday we didn't have any basketball.  I'm just really glad to have this behind me ... I do always stress about hosting big family gatherings.

... I'm a little nervous about seeing the "aftermath" on the scale tomorrow morning!



6 comments:

  1. I gotta ask...why did you eat/consume all that? You could've just prepared it, and watched... I'm sad for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to feel sorry for me, I don't! *Ü* It was delicious. You and I just have different mindsets. You see sugar as the enemy, I see it as an indulgence. I'm not ready to give up sugary carb yumminess and I don't know that I'll ever even try. Eating is very tied to making happy memories for me, which does make weight control challenging, but still doable.. It was not emotional or mindless eating at all. I was aware of every bite and I enjoyed every bite. Dipping a pretzel stick into warm flowing chocolate and tasting the salty and the sweet together .... ahh, I'm happy even with the memory.

      I'm under no illusion that it was "healthy" but I don't regret it or the memories made. I would feel deprived and miserable if I didn't allow myself to partake. You know the saying "You are what you eat" ... I am very sweet! Take my sugar away and no one wants to be around me!

      Up one pound this morning - I actually broke even for calories for the day even with the chocolate fountain.

      Delete
  2. It is what it is. I'm glad that you had the chance to celebrate the baptism of your 8 year old....only happens once and this is LIFE.....denying yourself is not the solution. Face it tomorrow....tighten up your eating and move on! Of course that is already your plan...but I just wanted to say that I agree with your plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ... I'm not one to deprive myself. I realize there are consequences to the calories, but it was worth it!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your son's baptism. You have a lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm still not totally comfortable in front of the camera, but these functions force the family shots and that is good. Happy we got a couple haircuts in yesterday morning too, a couple of the boys were getting shaggy (at least it was long for our family!)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...