Monday, January 6, 2014

Resolution Time


In all honesty, I'm NOT a big "resolution" type of gal. But it's hard not to get a little caught up in the feeling of a fresh start with the new year. Last January was not great though ... there had been a trip to Disneyland in the Fall which got me a bit off track. Hours on end in the car, waiting in lines, eating fast food. Add to that some anxieties on my part (crowds and  car travel) and it was NOT the happiest place on earth for me. I didn't even take my Fitbit. It was the older "Ultra" and I didn't have a simple way to sync and charge, and I was worried I would lose it. I had my backup Omron pedometer ... but the battery died the first day. I'm sure I did get a lot of walking in, but without feedback from my pedometers, I don't really know how much.

After Disneyland it was the holidays. I think I put on 20 pounds November/December of 2012. When January rolled around, I wanted to get back into gear, but I was discouraged and down and it didn't happen. I've never been officially diagnosed with "SAD" or depression, but I know I missed the sunshine desperately. It wasn't until Spring rolled around that I was able to snap out of my funk, join MFP, upped the exercise, started my blog here ... and I did see success. The rest of the year was good.

December was still quite a challenge though. Between the usual holiday hustle and bustle, and then getting sick (I lost 10 pounds in 7 days, but of course gained it right back when I recovered), it wasn't good. I've been counting down the days to January, to the New Year ... not necessarily to "resolutions" but just to get back into my routine.  January 1st wasn't a magic number, these first few days still fell into the "holiday" mode ... But TODAY ... January 6th. This is the day I've been looking forward to. Hubby back to work, the kids back to school, me back to my routine. These past few weeks, there has been tons of family time and we've made many memories, but it's been hard to keep up the exercise/eating during this time. Now,  no more sleeping in, no more excuses. Back to the busy, but structured routine. 

As I walked into Sam's Club over the weekend, I noticed they had changed up their entryway display. Gone was the Christmas decor, "tis the season" for "health" ... well, vitamins, energy bars, protein powders, water bottles,  athletic wear/bags and a treadmill tucked on there at the end.  The first few pages of the Target ad on Sunday was all "fitness" stuff as well. Hoping to capitalize a bit on all those "New Years Resolutions" people are making.

For me in 2014, I do have similar "resolutions" to the ones featured in the comic strip at the top:
  • Weight & Fitness: I DO want to lose 10+ pounds. I'd love to get to my goal weight of 135, but really, if I can drop under 150 and STAY there I'll be happy. In addition to just a weight goal, I'd like to run(jog) a 5k, firm up  my muscles and lose the flab (my body fat %  is still way too high). 
  • Mental Health: I've always been a reader, though many years life got in the way. With the introduction of digital books, I have been reading more these past couple years. I don't have a specific goal in mind, but I DO think I read about a book a week (see what I've read and rated on GoodReads). I'm still working through my magazines and keep up with all the great blogs out there. In addition to reading, I want to make sure and keep my Good Reads updated (I'm currently about four books behind) and feature interesting articles in my weekly Saturday Spotlight
  • House and Home: I do want to be more patient with the kids. I want to initiate a game night once a week (inviting grandparents to join at least once a month). I need to do better with the cleaning ... I do actually get credit for steps and activity with my Fitbit, so that should motivate me ... right? Cardio cleaning? I want to stay current on my blogs (family blog, basketball blog) and have a weekly date with the hubs.

Did you make resolutions for this coming year?


12 comments:

  1. I love reading too. One of my resolutions should have been to take breaks from it a little more often in the evenings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of setting a to read a certain # of books, I think I need to set a goal to LIMIT myself to a certain # so I don't go overboard. I have been reading while riding the exercise bike though, and having my books on my phone, I read 10 min here, 10 min there when I wouldn't normally have dragged a book along.

      Delete
  2. It seems like now that I have kids I don't read even a quarter of what I used to, trying to change that, but I don't like to stay up late, I usually go to bed with the kids. Looks like some great goals for the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went for a while there where I didn't get much reading in. Going digital really revolutionized my reading (it's just so easy to have books on hand now, I seriously have 500+ in my Kindle cloud). I don't staying up late either ... sometimes I beat the kids to bed.

      Delete
  3. Those are some great resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading, sadly, always comes last these days. I have a beautiful new Kindle paperwhite, with a gorgeous leather cover. I need to make it a priority, especially with football and the pools winding down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess I have more time for reading as football is foreign to me! I've NEVER watched a whole game in my life. Digital reading has so many advantages, it's really revolutionized how I read, which is why I'm able to get so much more in lately.

      Delete
  5. I've definitely lowered my bar on reading goals. Cancelling all of my magazine subscriptions has helped me not feel 'pressured' to keep up.

    I think you've got some great goals set out. Cheers to a fantastic 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just renewed all my magazines! I still have a stack of older ones too. I do feel some pressure to get through them :) I go back and forth between magazines and books/novels ... sometimes I'm in the mood for one but not the other.

      Delete
  6. I can really relate to the part about having a hard time losing weight in the winter. I *really* started my weight loss late last spring, when I was more energized and motivated. In fact, I'm finding it hard now to keep up the pace. I just want to get under those warm covers and eat some comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In previous years, winter has actually been a pretty good time for me. It IS so cold, but that motivates me to move just to warm up :) and I'm less likely to be going out and about as I don't want to leave the house, so I usually do have a little more time to workout. Last winter was just bad, but hoping this one is much better!

      Delete
  7. Hey Jen... Thx for the link up idea on my blog. I have fallen off the wagon with posting... but I'm getting back on track. Love reading your blog... ♥

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...