Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Exploding Oatmeal

I'm not a huge fan of oatmeal, but I will eat it. I don't do the packets, but I admit I pick the "quick" over the old-fashioned oats.  I haven't been able to bring myself to try the steel-cut kind (but hubby prefers it). I'm super plain too, I'll add sugar (or sugar-substitute), milk and maybe a little cinnamon, but that's it. No fruit or flavorings.

I know many people prefer cooking their oatmeal on the stove-top over the microwave ... but the microwave method is quicker, easier and leaves less cleanup. That is, unless the oatmeal explodes! Then there is more clean-up ... and less oatmeal.

It's a cold, snowy day here ... a perfect day for oatmeal. I find I'm much more likely to eat oatmeal in the winter when the warmth from it is appealing. I don't know that I ever eat oatmeal in the summer. 

Have you seen those chilled, overnight oatmeal jars?
I tried (making, not eating) a couple recipes. Hubby said they were pretty good, but he has to be in a "healthy eating" mindset to want one.  I thought I'd link up with What I Ate Wednesday today ... although oatmeal is all I've had so far. 

What about YOU. Are you an oatmeal eater? Which kind to you prefer? Flavorings? Microwave or stove-top? Does oatmeal fill you up? I know the experts say it does, but I find I'm still starving an hour afterward. 

Have you ever had an oatmeal explosion? 

8 comments:

  1. I have found that if you use a larger bowl, like twice the size of the one you're eating out of that it won't explode like that. I normally use old fashioned oats and cook them in a pot because it only takes a few minutes. I eat my oatmeal a million different ways. LOL My fav lately has been bananas, pecans and almond butter mixed in, with some cinnamon. I also like the cold oats, but have only tried it a few ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i make the old fashion kind every morning with a scoop of chocolate protein powder and a banana, if I haven't had a shake yet. If so i have it with apples and cinnamon. I love overnight oats, but it's too cld for that now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used to be, but not in over a year. it's a grain...yada yada said the broken record. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love oatmeal in any form and with almost any topping. Right now, my fave is pecan, PB, and banana oats, using peanut flour for the PB flavor. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I exploded chocolate pudding like that in the microwave. It looked so messy and delicious. I don't eat oatmeal that often. But I go towards plain oatmeal with a sprinkle of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could eat oatmeal, but the texture of it kind of creeps me out. I know I should because it is super healthy, but I just cant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love oatmeal with fruit and nuts, so if I am not having my usual eggs I have oatmeal for breakfast..I usually have only these two breakfast options :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not big on oatmeal because of the texture. I have to have it just right. I have found though that I love the overnight oats. So far I like them best with old fashion oats, but I haven't tried the steel cut ones yet. The overnight oats have actually become a staple breakfast for me since I can quickly through together enough for 3 days in about 15 minutes and don't have to worry about making anything in the morning.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...