Monday, January 20, 2014

I Hope You Dance


Have you ever played the game "I have never ..."?  There are a few different versions of the game, but the gist is, you try to think of something you have never done, that others in the group HAVE done. Let me tell you, I could ALWAYS win at this game.  I could win this game with food items alone. "I have never eaten pizza, hamburger, hotdogs, tacos, apple pie. I have never had a beer, wine or even a Coke."  I have plenty of non-food never issues too.  When it comes to trying things ... that's NOT a strong suit for me. I've got some anxiety issues, and they can definitely come into play when "new" things come up.

So at church last Sunday, I noticed in the program a little notice that there was going to be a Zumba class being held. Now ... I have never, ever taken a class before. Not any type of class. I'm a solo exerciser. I've never really tried Zumba ... well, I did get a DVD out of the library and attempted that. I gave up pretty quick. I am not a dancer. Back in my high school and college days, I was heavily involved in musical theater and different singing groups, and that fact that I was NOT a dancer was pretty obvious. 

But the class was free. I was free ... in fact the timing was perfect. 8:30 on a Tuesday morning. That lined up perfectly for me to go to the church straight after dropping off the elementary kids at school, but before my volunteer shift there later in the day. But did I dare?

I posted on a couple of my social sites (MFP and Facebook) trying to get a bit of feedback (does a non-dancer dare try Zumba type of question). My MFP friends came back with tons of positive support, encouraging me to go ahead and give it a try (the responses went on for a while! My screen grab could only get the first few). I really appreciated all the kind words. 

I also posted in one of my fitness groups on Facebook ... there I was surprised at how many of the gals said they hadn't tried Zumba either (but again encouraged me to give it a go). I really thought I was the last person alive to give a Zumba class a try.

Tuesday morning rolled around. I knew I had to make the decision. I went ahead and put on my sneakers. I put on my heart rate monitor. I grabbed a bottle of water and I dropped the little boys off at school. It was 8:25. 

The church was on my way home. I pulled into the parking lot and there were quite a few cars there. I wasn't sure if I hoped there would be people from my neighborhood that I knew, or if it would actually be easier to attempt if everyone was simply strangers.  I should have glanced down at my HRM before the class started, because I'm pretty sure my heart was already pounding pretty fast!



I completed the class.  Although there were times I started to sweat a bit, it wasn't that much of a workout. I was pretty disappointed (but not surprised) by the calorie burns reflected on the Fitbit and my HRM.

Will I go again? I'm not sure. But nevertheless, I'm glad I DID go. I'm proud that I overcame my anxiety and attended a class, even if it didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped. 

Do YOU Zumba? 
Does social exercising encourage or intimidate you?
What new things do you want to try?

It's Martin Luther King Jr. Day ... which means the kids are out of school. The routine will be a bit off today. I had a decent weekend, kept calories in check, but weight is still up a bit this morning. Over 150 :(.

I need to get motivated again! Monday linkups with 
and of course ...

Link up with Motivational Monday.
Share your story. Anything that motivates you or others!


10 comments:

  1. I'm taking my first class tonight - something new called Bokwa that advertises itself for all fitness levels and non-dancers. Will let you know if I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i take zumba twice a week and i love it!! i get at least a 500+ burn every time and always dripping sweat. I take from a trained instructor who is awesome. i guess it depends on the teacher. don't let this be your only time. go find another class and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't Zumba. I free-style dance at home. But that is my only form of exercise except summer time brisk hill walking. It works! Like anything, you get what you put into it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great you went to the class for a couple of reasons. One being trying something new is always a good thing (well mostly:). I bet the gal leading it wasn't a real instructor, but had taken it many times before and figured she would donate some service and give it a try:) I bet it meant the world to her that others came to the class (even if it didn't make you break much of a sweat:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never played that game but sort of want to now.
    I pretty much workout alone but I did go to a Zumba class a few times this summer - I'm not good at it but it was pretty fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love zumba, though these days I can't make it to the zumba class but I have always enjoyed zumba it gets a smile on my face...then again my instructor is good so it's fun :)
    It's great you gave it a try, it's always good to get out of your comfort zone :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not like Zumba. It's too easy not to work hard and as someone who lacks coordination, I have a hard time getting a half way decent workout from it. I'd rather spend an hour running or spinning than in Zumba any day a thousand times over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for getting out of your comfort zone. I'm sorry the class wasn't what you expected. I'm pretty sure it was the instructor and choice of routines though. I'd try another class with another instructor if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zumba is so much fun but since I've gained so much weight I don't have confidence to dance in the public anymore. I just do homeworkout for now. Yes I still do zumba but only in the comfort of my own home. :)
    Thanks for such a nice host!

    http://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never taken a Zumba class! I am so uncoordinated and so not musical that I avoid anything to do with dancing. I think it took lot of courage to go to the class. Congrats! I may have to make myself take a Zumba class for one of my firsts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...