Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Flu Facts

Do you ever want to post something to your blog just so you KNOW where it is for future reference? There's been so much sickness going around, I thought I might want a copy of this chart on hand just so at least we might know what we are dealing with.

My sickness last month I think was the seasonal flu. I never went into the doctor, as I just don't know that they can do anything (I guess if you get in early enough, you could get a Tamiflu prescription. We got some one year when my little one was sick and it cost over $100 and I'm not even sure it was effective). But the last thing I felt like doing was going out and sitting in a doctor's office. You can see I survived.

I was still on "mommy duty" during my sickness. Driving carpools, making lunches ... I'm pretty sure I sneezed all over everything. I really tried to keep my hands washed and everything as disinfected as possible. I was very happy that no one else in the family got sick.

But Hubby HAS gotten sick now. His is quite different than my sickness. It came on so quickly. Extreme fever and chills. His fever hit 105º last Wednesday. Reading up online afterwards apparently I should have rushed him to the ER, but we did get the fever down with medication and cool cloths. I kept him on a strict medication schedule after that (even setting my alarm for a 3am wake up to make sure he got his next dose on time). I'm thinking his is the H1N1 ... I think he's over the worst of it. The fever has dissipated, but congestion has moved in. I'm still keeping an eye on him!

I'm not opposed to the flu shot, I just generally don't go out of my way to get one. If I happen to have a trip to the doctor, I'll get one. I haven't noticed any bad reactions ... or any real flu prevention.  I remember eight years ago, I had just had my last baby. The entire family then came down with the flu.  The baby was just seven days old. I took him to the instacare, and they immediately referred us downtown to Primary Children's hospital. I was so worried, as the rest of us had such a bad cough, I couldn't imagine his little body going through that. Although we were admitted and had to stay in the hospital for a few days, the baby never really got it bad (thank heavens). I probably got more rest there in the hospital with the baby than I would have at home with the other four kids (poor Daddy!) I HAD received a flu shot that year, as had both sets of grandparents and our pediatrician ... ALL of them were sick with the flu at this time as well!

I REALLY hope this is it for our family and the flu for a while. Although last year, my baby (he was then seven) got the flu in December. He got it again in February (as did I and two of the other boys). As bad as my recent bout was (hubby said he'd never seen me so sick) I do think the one last February was worse ... that sore throat was excruciating!


Sharing the handy dandy chart of symptoms
as well as prevention recommendations for today's 
  • Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
  • Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.
  • If you are sick with flu-like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.)
  • While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
How do you all feel about the flu shot?
Do you go to the doctor, or simply wait it out?

5 comments:

  1. Oh hell, now that I read your post I'm going to worry about getting sick all day! Ha ha ha

    I'm more a 'let it run it's course' kinda girl...and eschew the doctor visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we have better insurance now (hubby changed jobs). For the last few years, we had a $10K deductible, so any doctor's visit would cost at least $100+. Now we have a copay, and I admit I'll probably be more likely to make a "just in case" visit.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this! None of us have been really sick, so I am getting nervous we will. I think I had the flu last March. I never get a flu shot, but we get our kids the flu mist just because they go to school and are around tons of other kids. I had fever, chills, and body aches so bad I couldn't get up off the couch for days. I never went to the Dr because I read that if you don't go soon after getting sick they can't do anything, but I rested and finally got better. Scary stuff. If people would just stay home when they are sick, less germs would get spread. My friend teaches and she said people send their kids to school sick all the time. :/ We are big on hand washing. As soon as the kids come home from school, they wash their hands, and same thing when we come home from being out. I also carry hand sanitizer and we use that. I change the hand towels in the bathroom and kitchen each day. I think things like that along with good nutrition, sleep, and vitamins really helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some frustrations with my kid's school last year! My little one was sick in December (missed five days) and then got it again in Feb (missed another five days) and he'd miss a day here and there for smaller sicknesses. Then I get this nasty letter from the school saying my kid has missed too much, and that any further absences will require a doctor's verification that he is sick or I'll be reported to the state! My heavens, keeping a kid home certainly throws me off my routine, I would rather they be in school and not get behind. He was still getting perfect grades, honor roll and at the top of his class. I was SO frustrated it really caused some negative feelings toward the principal and the school!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...