Thursday, January 16, 2014

My Olympic Oval Experience

It's Throwback Thursday! Here's a picture from back in 2008. I think this was when both hubby and I were doing great keeping active and keeping the weight off. We're at Utah's Olympic Oval for a little family ice skating. The three older boys were naturals ... the two youngest, not so much. They were NOT happy. I mean there were kids their age just zipping by on the ice, but not my two little ones. We had such a good time (well, five of us anyway), that we decided to invest in a family pass. It really wasn't much of an investment actually. For just $99, we could get into the oval for an entire year of free skating (including skate rental). If we just went a couple of times, we'd get our money's worth. The two little guys never went back, but I went several times with the older boys, and a couple times by myself just to get an ice skating work-out in. 

In addition to skating, our membership also gave us access to the track around the oval. Unlike the skating, which had limited hours, the jogging track was usually open all day (from 5:30 to 10:00). If you are a bit wimpy, like me, it's a great alternative to running outdoors. Always a comfortable, cool 65° that was appealing in both winter and summer.

I'm not a big runner, but I did get several trips in. Often there would be Olympic athletes training on the ice. It was hard NOT to get a bit of an adrenaline rush, feeding off their energy. Once, as I was walking back to my car, I crossed paths with Apolo Anton Ohno. He nodded and said hi as he walked by. Pretty cool!

Since then, we've debated whether or not to get another pass. The price has increased slightly, but it's still a good deal. I know the older boys would like getting some skating in, and I enjoy it too. I'm still not sure the little ones would even want to try though. We haven't gotten around to doing it, but it's always there in the back of my mind.

I've just been catching up on the latest episode of The Biggest Loser. It was fun to see the contestants come to Utah and work out in a place where I've been myself.  As the 2014 Olympics are getting so close, there have been some articles in the local paper about how Utah is the only location to have all it's Olympic venues open to the public and still in use. I haven't toured the venues up in Park City, but the Olympic Oval is only about 15 minutes from our home. 

Want to see what's going on at the Oval right now? 
They keep a live web cam running!

Do you ever ice skate?
Are you going to watch some of the upcoming Winter Olympics?



1 comment:

  1. Never ice skated, won't at this point, and/but can't wait for the Olympics!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...