Saturday, January 18, 2014

Saturday Spotlight #11


Welcome to my Saturday Spotlight
Here's a few of the interesting articles I read this week ...

  • Deciphering Labels for Hidden Food Allergens: With Celiacs running in my family, I have started examining food labels more closely when preparing something for my brother, sister or dad. This had a lot of good information.  
  • Can Winter Really Make You Sick? The Truth About Seasonal Affective Disorder: I had such a bad winter last year, I wondered a bit about "SAD". My doctor checked my vitamin D levels at my annual exam and said we'd keep an eye on it. So far so good this year. 
  • Do You Know Your Active Metabolic Rate: AMR ... is this the same as TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)?
  • Six Ways To Get Motivated and Stay That Way: I thought this blog post had some good ideas.
  • The Grossness of Gum: I must admit, I'm a gum chewer though. It helps keep my mouth occupied. 
  • Addicted to TV: Why are some shows so addictive? I actually LOVE shows that hook me, that keep me wanting to come back! I'm pretty much always watching them while I work out, so something that makes me want to come back? That might just get me to the gym more. Although I've found that some shows, I'd prefer just to wait and watch the episodes back to back - no commercial breaks or waiting a week (months or season) in between. I've got a few I keep current with, others I'm interested in but am waiting until they are available on Netflix, Amazon Prime or DVD. I keep a list of what I'm watching if you were interested.
Speaking of television shows, I've been catching up on Modern Family. Do you watch it? I got season 1 for Christmas and now the kids are hooked, so I figured I'd better get caught up before they started watching ones I hadn't seen yet (that is a major pet peeve of mine! I really dislike catching a glimpse of a show I haven't seen, but that I intend to watch).  I have to say, I got quite a kick out of the "Phil vs the Elliptical" theme in the Christmas episode. I was watching while on MY elliptical. (I'm hoping it shows below, if not, I've included the link) ... SO funny!


If that didn't give you a laugh, 
check out these post-it notes from a stay-at home dad to his wife. 

That's it for this week. Check out the previous Saturday Spotlights for more of my links, and links to other bloggers who do posts similar to this. If you do a similar post (highlighting great articles or blog posts), feel free to post your link in the comments section. Have a good weekend!





7 comments:

  1. Jen!!!! WHY OH WHY have you not watched The Middle?!??! GET IT!!! LOL

    And I love Falling Skies! Can't wait for the summer return! (much else on your list, too. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched the first season of "The Middle" ... it was a while ago and when I started my "What I'm Watching" list I only went back a year or so (or it would be MUCH longer). It's just not available for streaming ... streaming is just easier for me to get to, it's so convenient. Unless wifi is out! My library does have it, so I'm sure I'll get to it at some point. I think dramas/action are a little more adrenaline inducing for me and my workouts, but I do like the occasional comedy.

      Delete
  2. I loved your post and laughed like crazy at the "Post It Parenting" article. Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a problem with gum chewing. I think it is absolutely disgusting to keep a piece of chewy stuff in your mouth for a long time. Yuck! And don't even get me started on having to listen to people chew like cows on cud. And if they pop it, it makes me feel violent.

    I think Modern Family is pretty good for a sitcom. I don't usually like sitcoms. I'm more of a Mad Men and American Horror Story fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am for sure reading that ways to stay motivated! Thanks for sharing all of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure how I wasnt on google FC...I wonder if it is because I changed my thing around haha anyways I am now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep thinking I will quit chewing gum, I so love that minty freshness in my mouth though! but all those nasty things! thanks for sharing... I think ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...