Saturday, May 24, 2014

Reading Recap - Teen Trilogies

I love reading, and even though I'm in my 40s, YA/Dystopian stuff is a favorite. I admit, I feel guilty spending too much time reading, but when I read while riding my stationary bike, I feel fine  allocating 30 minutes a day to my current novel. I also read here and there, while I'm waiting for the boys.  I'll wind down my day, reading a bit in bed, as long as I can keep my eyes open. 

 Still ... I go through phases with my reading. Even though I have hundreds (that is not an exaggeration) of books waiting in my Kindle Cloud, a huge wish list at my local library, and a "to read" list even longer on GoodReads, at times I finish a book and I'm not sure what I'm going to read next.

A couple of months ago, I was browsing my library website when I saw "Into the Still Blue" ... which is the third and final book in the "Under The Never Sky" series. I had really enjoyed the first two. I hadn't really been paying attention to release dates, but just happened to stumble upon this shortly after it was added to the library site. I grabbed it, read it, loved it ...

That got me thinking about some of the other trilogies I had been reading ... I knew the third book of several series should be coming out shortly, so I looked them up. I spotlighted them on one of my Friday Five lists a few weeks ago (Five Books I Really Want To Read).

Four of the five are now available (Sinner is still pending, it it's actually a book#4). As soon as Cress was out, I went ahead and purchased a copy. A friend of mine has "loaned" me her Nook library (trusting me with her username/password, granting me access) and I had read the first two in the series from her set. I bought it on Nook gifting it to her (even though I really prefer Kindle) so we could both read it. 

Cress? Thumbs up! I have thoroughly enjoyed this series! My only disappointment, although this is the third book, it is NOT the final book! A fourth book, Winter, is being written with expected publication next year. For the first time in my life I can say I'm looking forward to Winter. It's not that I wanted the story to end ... I just had "trilogy" in head and so was thinking I was getting a conclusion.

I've been scanning the library and was very happy when I saw Ruins and The Forever Song added there. So they are on hold, and I'm waiting! I wish our library would get more than one copy!

... as I was in a "finishing up my trilogy" mode, I also went back to the "Everneath" series and the "Matched" series. On both of those, I had only read book one. On both, I had book 2 available, but figured I'd wait until book 3 was out. I have book 3 of both series on hold ... and I have now read the second in both series. Just waiting for those holds too (although not as anxious ...these series are just ok, not high on my "love it" list).

I'll often just jump onto my library site and scan it quickly, looking at the new additions. Seeing if I might snag a new release before everyone else discovers it. I lucked out again!

Yea! The One (and for once I'm NOT talking about my Fitbit). I'd really loved "The Selection" series. You can see there are over 60 holds on the book now, but when I found it last Friday, there were a couple available for instant download. I snagged it!  I had to finish up the book I was currently reading (Neverfall, an Everneath novella, prepping me for book 2 of that series). That day, I put in 60 minutes on the bike reading and riding just so I could get though it. I was pretty anxious to start "The One" but I'm also a little OCD, I don't want to stop in the middle of a book (especially as I was close to the end). 

Anyway - I started "The One" on Friday night. I finished it on Sunday morning. I only did 30 minutes or so on the bike. This one I just wanted to read enough that I did just that. Sat and read. Granted, I'm a fast reader. And this is and easy and fluffy read. It was quick (about 340 pages).  Someone described this series as a mix of "The Hunger Games" and "The Bachelor" (the TV show) and that is a perfect description! It sounds a little silly, but it's really a good read. A little action, a little romance ... yes, your standard love triangle that all teen trilogies seem to need to have.

..I've enjoyed getting back to my trilogies. I like the sense of closure when I finish a series, even if I'm sad to see the series end. 

How to you feel about trilogies/series? Do you read them as they are written, anxiously awaiting the next publication or do you wait until a trilogy is complete and then read the books back to back? Do you re-read to refresh yourself on the story if you had to wait in-between books? Which ones are your favorites?

I just got an email ... Ruins is ready for me to download. Update, Sunday morning, The Forever Song is now available. When it rains it pours ...
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...