Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Zumba Firsts

On Sunday, I posted a funny little video, a public service announcement about the dangers of addiction to distance running. I mentioned there, that I think I am safe from any running addiction (although I know there are those of you out there in trouble) ... but Zumba? I DO think I might have a slight addiction. Not enough that I need an intervention just yet.

I had never been to a Zumba class before this year. I never thought I would. I can't dance, and I exercise on my own. When my church offered a free class, I pushed myself (and believe you me, I had to PUSH) to give it a try (I Hope You Dance). I wasn't hooked after the first day, it took a few times. But then ... I wanted more. In addition to my Tuesday class, I started attending a Thursday class. Then I added a Wednesday class. I figured I'd be fine with my Tues/Wed/Thurs schedule ... but I wanted MORE.

I had a few Zumba "firsts" this past weekend ...
  • ANOTHER NEW: All three of the classes I'd been to had a common denominator ... my original instructor. She was the one who introduced the additional classes. She attended them all and taught a couple numbers at the Wed/Thurs.  So I had some familiarity even as I attended them for the first time. On Friday morning, I went to a completely new class all on my own. I'd found this one through a Facebook group. It's a little further, but I think I'll go again if I don't have an option closer to home.
  • IN THE EVENING: One of the instructors from the Thursday class was holding an evening class. All my Zumba to date had been in the mornings. This was my first evening class ... and my first double day (this was also on Friday).
  • 1ST PAID CLASS: So far ... all my Zumba classes have been free ones, at local churches. I was in the mood and had some free time Saturday morning, so I found a class. It was $2. It was different ... in a studio. In the dark with flashing strobe lights. The music was more modern (lots of Top20 type hits). It was a single instructor, but she sure kept up the energy! It was pretty crowded (a smaller room). I don't know if I'll do this every Saturday, but it's nice to have the option there.
I am NOT one for change or trying new things, so these are pretty big moves for me (NSVs for sure!)! My Zumba experience so far has been interesting. I've now gone to eight different locations, over a dozen different instructors, so many different songs and steps.  I'm enjoying it all!  I've found out about a couple Monday classes, so I'll be adding that into the rotation. I keep all my numbers (HRM and Fitbit Stats) and it's so interesting to compare them class to class ... sometimes they line up to how I feel, other times I'm a little mystified, unsure why I'm not getting the heart rate up for a better calorie burn (just like weight loss ... or the lack thereof after adding up the numbers).

Yesterday's numbers ... 450 calories burned according to the HRM. 487 according to Fitbit (sometimes these two estimates are very different). In the "zone" 45minutes  of the hour, over 7000 steps and my average and max heart. One of my best days.

 Today ended up being ANOTHER first ... a little outdoor Zumba. The church it was supposed to be held at had it's floors refinished, so we relocated only to find that church also just had it's floors refinished. So we just danced in the parking lot! My first outdoor Zumba ... it was actually quite fun!

Do YOU Zumba?
If you live in Utah, be sure to check out my Free  Utah Zumba Classes post!

Linking up with WorkOutWednesday and The Hump Day Blog Hop

19 comments:

  1. Ummmm YES!!! One of my favorite things in the world!!! Mainly I love my zumba instructors--they are guys from Brazil and they freaking rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I went to a gym that offered Zumba, I really liked it. When the instructor is great and the music is motivating, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a gym membership, I've been so lucky to find so many free classes ... I'm wondering if it is a Utah thing (it is LDS church based) or if instructors are offering free classes elsewhere too? I never would have discovered Zumba otherwise.

      Delete
  3. Zumba is something I have always wanted to try. I have a good friend who teaches classes at a nearby fitness center. I keep telling her I'll take a class:) I am so not coordinated, I think I should check out a Zumba DVD from the library first to get the basics down first, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I started with a DVD or two and it didn't take at all. Too easy to just give up and stop. In the group dynamic, it's harder to just walk away, and it's really a relaxed atmosphere anyway. Just fun!

      Delete
  4. I have only done Zumba once and it didn't live up to the hype...but I'm still interested in trying it and ummmmm maam your addiction is TLC worthy...lol...Have you thought about becoming an instructor yourself!
    adifferentd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the first time I went I came away saying almost exactly the same thing. I wasn't even sure I would go back, but I did (it was free and close, might as well) ... it took a few times, to get comfortable with the steps and then I started totally looking forward to it each week. Then ... I started looking for more classes and now I pretty much do it every day!

      Delete
  5. I seriously LOOOOVE Zumba! I probably look really silly dancing but its so much fun and I always work up a sweat :)

    Kristen @ Your Beauty Fix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit ... I DO watch others too. Some people just have the moves. I LOVE watching them, such grace and style and personality. don't, but I'm ok with that. I'm still getting a workout it, but it doesn't really feel like a workout :)

      Delete
  6. oh I so cannot dance at all. I feel like such a goof in Zumba. I'm sticking with w spinning and running and weights. I admire those who can let it all go in there. #wowlinkup Confessions of A Mother Runner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried spinning. Actually, running gives me a much better burn than Zumba, but I just don't enjoy it and can't keep it up for a solid hour. I do still try to get a run (ok ... jog) in here and there too. It's all good! :)

      Delete
  7. I have never tried it, but I think it is awesome that you have been open to pushing yourself out of your comfort zone :)

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SUCH a push, let me tell you! Every "new" thing requires a new push for me, although it's getting easier to try new places as I feel a bit more confident.

      Delete
  8. I don't Zumba but I know many folks who DOOOOO!!! I have tried some classes at the gym here and in South Carolina. All fun. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't expect your heart rate or calorie burn be as high as running, step aerobics, spinning. It is a good workout but not something very intense like a boot-camp or cross fit. It is an excellent class if you like to dance and have fun. Visiting from the #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read my article on Zumba: http://thefrugalexerciser.blogspot.com/2012/12/zumba-it-is-fun-but-is-it-effective.html

      Delete
    2. Interesting info ... I've never got the killer burns some people claim, but still I feel it's a good workout. On my own, I rarely go for an entire hour, but it's no problem during Zumba. I look forward to going. I can't say I like to dance, or that I'm any good at dancing ... I'm still honestly surprised at myself that I got hooked!

      Delete
  10. Ok that's it I'm getting Zumba for my son's wii and trying it. Everyone says it's fun so I'mm so in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the WiiZumba when I first started liking it ... but I do enjoy the classes so much more! And I'm a total homebody, so that is really surprising to me! Everything else I do, I do prefer just to do alone in my home gym.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...